Buying at Auction
IN THE ROOM
Come to the saleroom and register for a bidding number. You will be asked to provide your name, address and email, and possibly ID. You should use your bidding card to get the auctioneers attention.
We now offer live bidding here on our website at no extra charge (just the usual commission & VAT). You can listen in to the auction, and bid real-time as if you were in the room. You should register before the sale starts.
You can arrange to bid in person by telephone. There is no minimum value but telephone bids must be requested before the start of the sale and are allocated on a first come first served basis. There is no extra charge for this service.
Living bidding elsewhere on third-party platforms:
The-Saleroom: +5% surcharge plus VAT for this service (total of 25% +VAT)
EasyLiveAuction: Either +3% surcharge or £3, chosen by you at the point of registration (total of either 23% +VAT / 20% +VAT and a single £3 payment)
A few things to remember:
- Check the auction terms and conditions before you bid
- Find out about shipping before you bid. See below.
- Check your broadband for speed and continuity
- If you hold your mouse over the ‘bid’ button, the auctioneer can see that you are interested in bidding
- Join the bidding early, don’t leave it to the last second or you may lose the lot
- Bid quickly -there is a small time delay
- If you pause your bidding the auctioneer will take it as a ‘no’
- No goods are sold as-new, there are no guarantees, all lots are sold ‘as seen’.
- Distance selling regulations do not apply at auction rooms
- If you are a first-time buyer and you cannot attend to pay, you must pay by bank transfer for your first transaction. Subsequent purchases may be paid for over the phone by card (CNP)
If the auction falls at a difficult time for you, we can bid on your behalf by commission. You need to decide the maximum amount you are prepared to go to, and we be on your behalf as if you were in the room. We try to buy the lot for you as cheaply as we can, up to your maximum bid.
VIA OUR WEBSITE
Create an account here on our website, browse the fully illustrated catalogue and submit your maximum bids - simple!
Contact us via email (email@example.com) or by telephone (01424 772374) to leave an absentee bid.
How to leave bids on our website:
- Create an account with our website/Login to your account
- Open the relevant sale and locate the lot number(s) you wish to bid on.
- Next to the lot, a box will appear saying 'MAX BID', you must type your desired maximum bid and then click 'Place Autobid'.
- Use your account login to update, remove and submit your bids.
- Your bids will automatically be placed on our backoffice system, and the computer will bid on your behalf UP TO your maximum bid.
- You will be emailed the results at the end of the auction.
After the sale
Following the auction, payment and collection needs to be made within 7 days. Payment should be made online where possible (via the link in your invoice, or bank transfer).
Postage & Packing recommendations (you are welcome to find your own alternative):
- If you have been successful at the sale you will receive an invoice by email immediately afterwards
- All sale results are posted on the website straight after the sale
- If you have left commission bids via our website you can check your bid basket for your results
- There is a buyer’s premium of 20% +vat payable on top of the hammer price when bidding directly with us, whether this is online, over the telephone or in the room.
- There are additional charges for bidding on third-party platforms (+5% the-saleroom bidders) / +3% EasyLive / single £3 registration fee EasyLive)
- Payment can be made during or after the sale by cash, debit card, or bank transfer.
- We ask for payment immediately after recieving your invoice and require it within 7 days of the auction.
- Once we have received payment for your lots, you can collect them from the saleroom.
- If you are not collecting in person, please contact us to let us know who will be collecting on your behalf.
Terms and conditions